Skip to main content

You can go to college

Smiling graduates of Chemeketa Community College


You can go to college. College is for people like you.

Use the information and resources below as a starting point. Talk with a teacher, college staff member, or trusted adult to get help.

You can go to college...

If you don’t think you or your family has the money to pay for it.

You can afford college. The federal and state government, colleges, and other organizations give financial aid to help pay for college. Most students don't pay the "sticker" price.

If you will be the first in your family to go to college.

Look for support through online communities and college services for first-generation students. Take advantage of support services that colleges offer like tutoring and advising.

If you don’t think you are smart enough.

For most colleges in Oregon, you only need to graduate from high school or get a GED. Learn more about what you need to go to college.

If you live in a rural area.

You may have to go farther from home to go to college. Or you can consider an online or hybrid option if you want to stay close to home.

You can go to college...

If you are undocumented or DACA-mented.

In Oregon, eligible undocumented or DACA-mented students have several ways to help pay for college. You can pay in-state tuition at public universities and get state financial aid.

If you are disabled.

Colleges that offer federal financial aid must make their programs accessible to qualified students with disabilities. See the National Center for College Students with Disabilities for more information.

If you are LGBTQ+.

Look for colleges that offer support services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and other gender non-conforming students. Search the Campus Pride Index for a list of LGBTQ-friendly colleges.

You can go to college...

If you are BIPOC.

Many colleges offer dedicated support services for students of color. Some colleges serve a specific population, such as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs) and tribal colleges.

If you are homeless.

Get help from the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth. Call 855-446-2673 or e-mail

If you are or were in foster care.

There are specific scholarships and resources available for current and former foster youth. You may be eligible for a tuition and fee waiver for Oregon colleges.

You can go to college...

If you have been out of school for a while.

It’s never too late to start or return to college. You can usually transfer credits from other colleges or get credit for prior learning. Learn more about going to college as an adult learner.

If you are a parent.

Some colleges offer childcare or family housing, as well as support services. Consider a college with classes offered at a variety of times or online. You can also apply for the Oregon Student Child Care Grant.

If you are a veteran.

The federal government provides veterans of the armed services with money for college. Look for colleges with support services for veterans. Learn more about college options and considerations for veterans.