Skip to main content

Undocumented students

Latina students in graduation robes with Dreamer stoles at Portland Community College


Undocumented or DACA*-mented students can go to college.

Oregon law protects your information and immigration status. Colleges will not share your status with federal authorities.

How to apply for college as an undocumented student

Eligible undocumented and DACA*-mented students can apply to public colleges in Oregon as a regular student. But you may need to apply as an international student at a private college.

Do your research before planning your educational and career path. Some careers require professional licenses that may be difficult to get for undocumented students. For example, cosmetology and barbering licenses in Oregon require two forms of identification, most of which require citizenship or permanent residency.

How to pay for college as an undocumented student

Undocumented and DACA*-mented students can’t get federal financial aid. But in Oregon there are several ways to help pay for college:

In-state tuition

Eligible students pay in-state prices at public universities. This is also known as tuition equity.

Complete the Affidavit and Request for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition and Fees.


Many scholarships do not require U.S. citizenship.

Search and apply for scholarships in Oregon, including the OSAC Scholarship Application. There are also many national scholarships.

State financial aid

Eligible students can apply for the Oregon Opportunity Grant and Oregon Promise grant.

Complete the Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA) and Oregon Promise application.

College financial aid

Talk to a college’s financial aid office to see if they have grants or scholarships for undocumented students.

Resources for undocumented students at Oregon colleges

Many colleges in Oregon have information and support programs just for undocumented and DACA*-mented students.

Other resources for undocumented students