Students: Middle School Checklist
Getting ready for college starts now. Explore what you can do to prepare for your future today.
☑ Do well in school.► Set academic and personal goals for the year.
● Know that any setbacks are opportunities to learn and grow.
► Go to all of your classes. Attendance counts!
► Discover how you learn best and adopt strategies to support your learning style.
► Build good habits now to get ready for high school.
● Learn how to take notes, make outlines, and do research.
● Doing well in school is like getting good at a sport – you need to practice in order to improve.
► Ask for help from your teachers, parents, counselors, tutors, or friends or use online resources.
► Turn in all assignments.
● Reading improves your focus, concentration, imagination and knowledge – in short, it makes you smarter!
☑ Take the right classes.► Challenge yourself with honors or advanced classes, if available at your school.
► Take Pre-Algebra and Algebra – it’s a jumpstart on high school math.
► Take a foreign/world language if offered.
☑ Get organized.► Use a paper or digital planner or calendar to keep track of assignments and deadlines.
► Find a system that works for you to keep notes and papers organized like a binder or folders.
► Determine the place that you study best (at home or at the library, for example).
● Practice good study habits like turning off unnecessary technology. Use class and advisory time wisely and attend after school study programs.
☑ Get involved.► Get involved in school activities.
► Join community-based organizations or recreational centers.
► Volunteer in your community.
► Make a plan for summer like volunteering or summer programs.
► 8TH GRADERS: attend high school orientation with your family.
☑ Spend time with good people.
☑ Make good choices.► Be safe online and on your phone.
● Choose appropriate privacy settings on social media.
● Only share information with people you know and trust.
● Always ask yourself: would I want my grandma/teacher/religious leader to see this?
● Remember that whatever you post or share can live forever online.
► Avoid risky behaviors like drinking, doing drugs, and having sex.
► Be kind; treat others with respect.
☑ Explore college and career options.► Explore different occupations that match your interests.
► Talk about your future dreams and plans with your family, friends and other adults and set goals.
► Ask others about their careers and the education/training necessary.
► Discover why college is important.
► Explore different types of colleges.
► Visit a college campus on a field trip with your school or your family to get a feel for what college is like.
☑ Learn about paying for college.